Did you know…
- Rose was the first essential oil ever distilled in Persia during the tenth century.
- It takes approximately 5,000 to 10,000 pounds of Rose petals to make one pound of steam distilled rose oil, making it one of the most expensive oils in the world.
- Rose comes from the Greek word “rhodon” and also comes from the Latin word for “rose”, or “rosa”.
- Imperial Rome was passionately in love with the rose. Venus, the Romans’ goddess of beauty and erotic love, was closely associated with this seductive blossom. Mea rosa, or “my rose” was a term of endearment.
- According to some myths, Venus caused the rose’s red color when she pricked her foot on the thorn of a white rose, and her blood fell upon its blossoms. Other stories say her son, Cupid, spilled some red wine on the white rose, staining it forever.
What a great post about rose with such fun facts. I just found your blog and read several older posts-and really enjoyed all of them! Thanks for the great blog!
Thank you Andrea! I’d love to be in the rose petals right now!